Monday, November 23, 2009

Center of Attention

Today my son North and I went for the same hill climb I geeked out about with too much information regarding elevation in this blog entry. When we got to the top of the hill on Phinney Avenue N, we paused in front of Rudy's Barbershop for me to put back on my warmer shell for the windy and cooler ride downhill. While parked there, we had everyone in the barbershop, and drivers on the street, all smiling and pointing to us while saying something to those around them.

This is what its like everywhere I go on the bike. Usually when parking at the Fred Meyer, I get in a conversation from someone who wants to know more about the bike. Today it was both when we went in, and came out. I've been stopped on the street by a mother who wants one to carry her twins.

The bike wins smiles and accolades every where I go. That is an endorsement of some kind, maybe an expression of people's desire for new solutions to their daily routine. Maybe in the 1960's the same might have been shown towards Honda scooters or VW Beetles. Anyway, I know in our current era of nervousness about oil, our spending money and the environment; this cargobike illicits some sort of aspiration in those who see it pedal by.

No comments:

Post a Comment